Home Football Tooro United eject champions KCCA out of Stanbic Uganda Cup

Tooro United eject champions KCCA out of Stanbic Uganda Cup

Mutyaba (R) scored the only spot kick for KCCA FC yesterday (FUFA Media)

Holders KCCA FC were dumped out of the 2018/19 Stanbic Uganda Cup at the second hurdle on Tuesday as they were beaten in the round of 32 by Tooro United. It was a disappointing evening for KCCA, who were bested by the mid table premier league side at the Buhinga stadium in Fort Portal, losing 3-1 in spot kicks after a 1-1 normal draw in a game which saw their three penalties saved. And despite leading the StarTimes Uganda premier league currently by 7 points above second placed Vipers SC that two games in hand, the defeat signalled a new low in Mike Mutebi’s side that fell out of the CAF Confederations Cup last Sunday. The record joint 10-time Uganda Cup winners beat Congo Brazzaville’s AS Otoho 2-0 at Lugogo in the return leg, but bowed out of the continental showpiece on 3-2 aggregate loss after a 3-0 first leg defeat a week before. Last season Cup top scorer Patrick Kaddu gave KCCA lead with a cool finish in the 51st minute but Allan Kayiwa levelled for Tooro United with a tap-in the 77th minute to spark home fans’ early jubilations. The hosts held on and forced penalties with KCCA taking the first shot. Tooro United goal keeper and Man of the Match, Joel Mutakubwa continued with his fantastic form –saving three of KCCA’s penalties. Timothy Awany, Hassan Musana, and Allan Okello saw their spot kicks saved whilst Muzamir Mutyaba’s stretched the keeper. Mike Kawoya, Captain Willy Kavuma and Issa Mubiru netted their kicks for the hosts. The Wasswa Bbosa side remain unbeaten since relocation to Buhinga this season and progressed to the round of 16. Mutebi had before the clash hailed his charges for ‘understanding’ the game despite CAF Confederations Cup exit, saying that the focus now shifts to local championships where they also aimed at winning the Cup title for the third straight time. KCCA now have one chance of returning to the continent directly –winning the premier league if not risk ending the season empty handed for the first time since Mutebi’s return to the club in 2014. The side though have the season opening FUFA Super Cup to cherish after a convincing win at Vipers at Betway Muteesa II stadium, Wankulukuku. In other games, Wakiso Giants also progressed to the round of 16 after ejecting fellow FUFA Big league side Kireka United. The two sides played to a 2-2 normal time draw before the visitors claimed a 5-4 win after spot kicks. In Kiboga, hosts Kiboga Young were 2-1 winners at St Mary’s to progress to the round of 16.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here