Godwin Kayangwe Arinaitwe was elected as the next Uganda Rugby Union president for the next four years (2019-2023).
Kayangwe beat Kyambogo University’s Ivan Ssemuwemba 44-9 during the Union’s elective annual general meeting held at Noble View Hotel in Ntinda on Sunday.
Kayangwe replaces outgoing Andrew Owor who has been the Union’s president for the last six years as he served out his mandatory two terms.
The new president called for unity and pledged to work hard to develop and market the game as well as ensuring accountability.
Oscar Olaro and Peter Magona will deputise Kayangwe as Vice Presidents in the technical and commercial affairs respectively.
In other posts, Peter Odong was voted as the new honorary secretary replacing Kayangwe who was holding the post previously.
Simon Mutama retained his post as the honorary treasurer while Vian Matsiko was elected the new Up country representative.
Unopposed Regina Lunyolo is the Women’s representative on the executive while Dorothy Nekesa is the new Age Grade and Development representative.
URU New Executive 2019 – 2023
• President – Godwin Kayangwe
• Vice President Technical – Oscar Olaro
• Vice President commercial – Peter Magona
• Hon. Secretary – Peter Odong
• Hon. Treasurer – Simon Mutama
• Age Grade Representative – Dorothy Nekesa
• Representative – Regina Luyolo
• Up Country Rep – Vian Matsiko