As a result of the COVID-19 crisis in Uganda and the world at large, Uganda Chess Federation (UCF) has formally taken decision to postpone four National tournaments on their calendar.
“Following the COVID-19 pandemic Outbreak that has engulfed the whole world as is indicated by World Health Organization and ministry of health, UCF hereby postpones the following events till further notice to ensure safety and good health of the Uganda Chess community members” states the document.
The document outlines events as follow.
1. 2020 Fr. Grimes National Schools Chess Championsip.
2. 2020 National Championsip/Olympiad qualifiers (Super 14)
3. 2020 National Junior Chess Championsip
4. 2020 National League
UCF in the document further more confirms the postponement of four international events.
1. 2020 Zone 4.4 Individual Chess Championsip in Sudan
2. 2020 Africa Individual Chess Championsip in Nigeria
3. The 44th Chess Olympiad in Russia
4. The Paralympic Olympiad Khanty Mansiysk.
No decision has yetbeen made on rearranged dates when the eventz will take place.
UCF urged the chess community to follow the government directives as issued by the ministry of health and also avoid non essential public gatherings.
Players who wish to continue playing the games are encouraged to to engage in online activities like Uganda online trainingand play as opposed to over the board training.