Lady Volleyball Cranes Head Coach Tonny Lakony has criticized decision to hold U-20 Women’s Volleyball team training camp in Isingiro District ahead of the CAVB Age Group competition slated for 4 to 13 December 2020 at the Lugogo Indoor Stadium in Kampala.
Uganda will play host to Tanzania, Egypt, Tunisia and Cameroon in the said competition but Lakony, also Nkumba University women’s volleyball coach has punched holes into decision to take the camp to Boni Consilii Girls’ Vocational Secondary School in Isingiro with about a month remaining for the event proper to serve-off.
“The U-20 Girls preparations for the December qualifiers started on a very wrong note, the camp is in Isingiro while the competitions will be in Lugogo.” Lakony told Inside Volleyball.
Lakony claims that holding a camp in a distant area from Kampala where most ‘volleyballers’ are based will limit the team’s technical bench access to assistance from their colleagues, an issue that would easily be handled if the camp was held in Kampala.
“It will be extremely hard for coaches to go that far in Isingiro to help and only 10-days in Kampala for competition is not good at all.” Lakony added.
Lakony also faulted Uganda Volleyball Federation (UVF) for not being able to secure support from National Council of Sports (NCS) in regard to the camp.
“At one time NCS General Secretary, Patrick Ogwel said they will help all national teams in this lock down, I don’t understand how UVF has failed to get that assistance for NCS.” Lakony added.
“The Girls U-17 football team were in camp. Uganda Cranes went for a camp in Dubai, the Uganda Hippos are also in camp, here in Kampala, It is ridiculous to take a national team to Isingiro and yet they will play in Kampala.” Lakony further lamented.
“I fear for the worse for us in this qualifiers unfortunately.” Lakony concluded
There are 16 players in camp and are under the stewardship of Coach Alex Mbaine.
The team will camp in the West for a period of two weeks. They will then return to Kampala for practice sessions in Lugogo before the event serves off.
Players in Camp.
1. Rita Murungi, Maryhill High School Mbarara
2. Renata Kamahoro, Maryhill High School Mbarara
3. Ingrid Natukunda, St Elizabeth Girls Mbarara
4. Daphine Mpumwire, St Elizabeth Girls Mbarara
5. Gracious Kushemerwa, St Elizabeth Girls Mbarara
6. Arinda Nduhukire, Immaculate Heart Girls’ School Nyakibale
7. Tracy Amutuhaire, Immaculate Heart Girls’ School Nyakibale
8. Catherine Ainembabazi, Martin Luther King College Kireka
9. Patience Nayebare, Immaculate Heart Girls’ School Nyakibale
10. Tracy Kedi, Hilton High School Mukono
11. Catherine Amoding, Hilton High School Mukono
12. Catherine Tino, Immaculate Heart Girls’ School Nyakibale
13. Rebecca Kwagala, Katikamu SDA Wobulenzi
14. Jenifar Alungat, Merryland High School Entebbe
15. Naio Naio Noveline, Our Lady of Africa Mukono
16. Martha Jolly Ainembabazi, Immaculate Heart Girls’ School Nyakibale
CAVB Age Group Competition Schedule:
Women U20 Uganda, Kampala 4 to 13 December 2020
Girls U18 Nigeria, Abuja 29 January to 7 February 2021
Boys U19 Tunisia, Tunis 1 to 6 February 2021
Men U21 Egypt, Cairo 18 to 26 February 2021
2021 FIVB volleyball age group world championships
FIVB Volleyball Girls’ Under 18 World Championship – Mexico
•FIVB Volleyball Boys’ Under 19 World Championship – Iran
•FIVB Volleyball Women’s Under 20 World Championship – Netherlands and Belgium
•FIVB Volleyball Men’s Under 21 World Championship – Italy and Bulgaria