There were only two all-female teams in the third round of the Singleton Matchplay Challenge. However, the two pairs have failed to make it to the fourth round (quarter finals) of the main event played at the par-71 Entebbe Golf Club course.
The all-female teams of Sheila Kesiime/Gloria Mbaguta and Wendy Angudeyo/Doreen Mwesigye who edged their all-male rivals in the second round to make it to the cast of the 16 successful teams of the round that came to a close this weekend bowed out as all-male and mixed pairs continue to search for top honors with the fourth edition of the event nearing its business end.
For the case of Angudeyo/Mwesigye, the pair were a no show during their game against Oscar Semawere/Marvin Kagoro gifting the all-male pair a walkover.
Meanwhile, Mbaguta/Kesiime lost 1up to an all-male pair of Moses Mukiibi/Conrad Odere.
Among other interesting matchups, Uganda Golf Union (UGU) President Moses Matsiko is out of the competition after he and his partner Ashavin Kananathan falling prey to Earnest Rukundo/Rogers Byaruhanga off a 3/1 beating.
However, former UGU President Innocent Kihika is also out of the competition after he and his partner Morris Ongwech getting beaten 4/3 by Jerry Owachi/Harry Hakiza.
Singleton Matchplay will be played consecutively including on week days and will wind down on 19th December in a massive grand finale event.
Round Four will run between 14th – 21st November. Round Five will be played between 22nd – 28th November and the grand finale will be held on 19th December 2020.
The event’s platinum sponsor is Singleton whisky. Co-sponsors are; NCBA Bank Uganda, DSTV, Ekspresso, RwandAir, Serena Hotels, HTC, Bycentrics, Pinnacle Security, MARSH, Victoria Motors and Street Club (then host for the after party before Covid-19 happened).
The tournament is held in accordance with health guidelines regarding Covid-19.
Singleton Matchplay Challenge Round Three Results:
1. Earnest Rukundo/Rogers Byaruhanga beat Moses Matsiko/Ashavin Kananathan 3/1
2. Moses Mukiibi/Conrad Odere beat Sheila Kesiime/Gloria Mbaguta 1up
3. Ivan Wesonga/Emmanuel Wamimbi beat Ssubi Kiwanuka/Timothy Mwanda 5/3
4. Diana Nambalirwa/Anthony Ndegwa beat Charles Hamya/Charles Bogera 2/1
5. Luwum Adoch/Innocent Nahabwe beat Ali Juuko/Herbert Mwetemba 10/8
6. Jerry Owachi/Harry Hakiza beat Innocent Kihika/Morris Ongwech 4/3
7. Mathius Kalule/Stephanovic Dejan beat Paul Kalemba/Faith Namara 4/3.
8. Oscar Semawere/Marvin Kagoro vs Wendy Angudeyo/Doreen Mwesigye (Walkover for Semawere/Kagoro)
Singleton Challenge Round Four Draws:
1. Jerry Owachi/Harry Hakiza vs Diana Nambalirwa/Anthony Ndegwa
2. Moses Mukiibi/Conrad Odere vs Earnest Rukundo/Rogers Byaruhanga
3. Oscar Semawere/Marvin Kagoro vs Ivan Wesonga/Emmanuel Wamimbi
4. Luwum Adoch/Innocent Nahabwe vs Mathius Kalule/Stephanovic Dejan