It’s been two years since clubs were able to play league cricket due to the Covid-19 pandemic that ravaged the whole world.
Aziz Damani were the last winners of the league in 2019 with Challengers finishing in second place while Tornado and Premier dropped down to Div. 2. Ceylon Lions and Wanderers Cricket Club finished 1st and 2nd respectively from Div. 2 earning themselves promotion to the top flight.
The 2022 season set to bowl off this weekend has some new changes to make it more competitive and also make sure that it doesn’t drag for over a year. The changes include;
1. The league will be a one round league with two divisions, Div. 1 will have 9 teams and Div. 2 10 teams.
2. Clubs change only have a maximum of 4 national teams in their squad. National team players are defined as those that have played at least a game for Uganda in 2021.
3. Jinja SSS Cricket Oval and Serenity Oval Kamengo will be used by Div. 1 teams as both are now grass wicket surfaces.
4. Two teams will be demoted to Div. 2 from Div. 1 and two teams will gain promotion from Div. 2 to Div. 1.
5. Northern Knights Cricket Club from Gulu will be joining the league in Div. 2.
The opening weekend of the League will have three games.
1. Nyakasura v Aziz Damani Development (Div. 2) – Lugogo 10am 20/02/2022
2. Jinja SSS v Northern Knights (Div. 2) – Kyambogo 10am 20/02/2022
3. Wanderers v SKLPS (Div. 1) – Lugogo 10am 20/02/2022
Game of the Weekend: “Nyakasura and Aziz Damani Development is the game of the weekend, Nyakasura will be led by U-19 Captain Pascal Murungi and the side has Joseph Baguma, Matthew Musinguzi and Brian Asaba who were also at the U-19 World Cup
They will face familiar faces from the World Cup in Ronald Lutaaya, Yunusi Sowobi, Christopher Kidega, Edwin Nuwagaba, Ronald Omara and Fahad Mutagana.
Meanwhile, a curtain-raiser game between Aziz Damani (Div. 1 winners) and Ceylon Lions (Div. 2 Winners) will be played on Saturday (19/02/2022) followed by the prize giving ceremony for the 2019 league that has been pending for the last
two years. The game starts at 2pm.
Div. 1 Teams: 1. Aziz Damani 2. Challengers Cricket Club, 3. Tornado Bee, 4. SKLPS, 5. Kutchi Tigers, 6. Wanderers, 7. ACC, 8. Avengers 9. Ceylon Lions
Div. 2 Teams: 1. Aziz Damani Development, 2. Tornado, 3. Jinja SSS, 4. Budo Cricket Club, 5. Premier Cricket Club, 6. Patidar Cricket Club, 7. Nile Cricket Club, 8. Nyakasura, 9. JACC,10. Northern Knights Cricket Club, 11. Aziz Damani Development 2.
*Source: Uganda Cricket Association Press Release.