Uganda Sevens Coach Tolbert Onyango has summoned 22 players to camp ahead of the Africa Men’s Sevens tournament taking place in Harare on 16th-17th September 2023. The tournament also serves as the Olympic 2024 Qualifier.
Uganda is the defending champion after winning last year’s Africa 7s at Kyadondo and will definitely aim for a strong finish in Harare.
The training squad is full of local players with Philip Wokorach who plies his trade with French side ASBC being the odd man out.
Kobs dominate the list with seven players summoned, something that will impact on their performance at the Nile Special Sevens Series which they currently lead. Their star player Pius Ogena who has had 20 tries in the four legs of the local series is one of the players on the squad.
Heathens’ Nobert Okeny who is the leading try scorer in the local 7s series with 23 tries is also on the team alongside his teammate Aaron Ofoyrworth who is one of the most capped players.
Stanbic Black Pirates’ Alex Aturinda who has had a good show at the local series with 22 tries is on the team alongside three of his teammates.
- Ian Munyani – Kobs
- Alex Aturinda – Stanbic Black Pirates
- Allan Olango – Rhinos
- Mubarak Wandera – Stanbic Black Pirates
- Oketayot Byron – Kobs
- Timothy Mugisha – Jinja Hippos
- Adrian Kasito – Kobs
- Aaron Ofoyrworth – Platinum Credit Heathens
- Aaron Tukei – Toyota Buffaloes
- William Nkore – Stanbic Black Pirates
- Karim Arinaitwe – Kobs
- Philip Wokorach – ASBC
- Nobert Okeny – Platinum Credit Heathens
- Denis Etwau – Jinja Hippos
- Mark Osuna – Kobs
- Faragi Odugo – Kobs
- Pius Ogena – Kobs
- Shimwa Davis – Rhinos
- Massanganzira Isaac – Stanbic Black Pirates
- Lukwago William – Plascon Mongers
- Roy Kizito – Impis
- Aziz Bagalana – Jinja Hippos
Coach – Tolbert Onyango
Team Manager – Michael Wandera